Monday, January 23, 2012

A long drive and the Winter OR show

I recently had the opportunity to drive across half the country and attend the Winter OR show (OR = Outdoor Retailer). The drive started later than I wanted because I am a slow packer and I couldn't find the pin to hold my bike rack up so I improvised with a tent stake. I had one really long day and a few other long days driving from Boston to Salt Lake City. It was especially interesting in western Nebraska with some snow squalls and then in Wyoming with some fierce winds and a little blowing snow. It was also pretty cold. I don't usually get ice build up on the wood paneling in the back of my truck.
making the jump to lightspeed in western Nebraska

Blowing snow obscures the road in Wyoming
Jason and Chelsey warm up for an acro yoga performance

After I got to SLC I had some not so fun truck issues - I later realized it was in the battery connection, but at the time I had some grueling uphill pushing and attempts to push start. At least that did get me out of the sloped and short term pay parking area so I could go to sleep and deal with it the next afternoon.

The OR show had a bit of work (helping set up and take down the Prana booth and rejuvenation room), some boring times, some interesting things to see at the show, seeing and sometimes catching up with friends, making some connections, etc. etc. As usual there was some interesting schwag and good deals to be had. As usual hanging with the Yogaslackers is rarely dull for long, although they were mostly gearing up to head to Patagonia for an adventure race. I was hoping to get to go along to film, but that fell through.
Paul lays down some 2 gun mojo - nerf style...

...but it didn't take long to devolve
It also appears that winter has finally come to Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment