Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Fall Highball Classic in Bishop

a little fresh snow on the mountains
Last weekend was the fall highball classic in Bishop. Friday I went to the Reel Rock 10 film showing. Unfortunately I was late enough that I had to sit on the floor. The quality of climbing films sure has improved in the last few years. Saturday I went to the Buttermilks with Julie and Ernie. We mostly got shut down but did do the stand start version of the Pope's Hat in honor of the Highball themed weekend. There was a nice sunset too, although the wispy clouds sort of changed before the color got decent.

sunset from the buttermilks

That night there was a get together off of main street, among other things there was a pack weight guessing contest (Price is Right rules) and a rope coiling contest put on by Sierra Mountain Guides. I had the fastest coiling time when I did it but was beat later. However my pack weight guessing skills were up to snuff and I won a nice Camp M4 pack. It might be my new carry-on pack (I gotta check the dimensions) not to mention a good size for other adventures. There was also a slide show put on by Peter Croft. This time I got a seat. The next morning I headed out earlyish (for me) for a nice bagel breakfast and then did a stewardship project out on the tablelands. Our group worked on delineating the edge of the road and either blocking off or making more obvious a few campsites and turnarounds. The weather was lovely and the city of Bishop helped with the festivities this year - the movie and slideshow was in the Bishop Twin Theater and the party and breakfast were across the street in the lot there as well as a Friday night get together in the Mtn Rambler Brewery. All in all a successful weekend although I did sort of strain my back picking up a rock. oops.


before

during - moving big rocks

mostly after - parking camping area but you can't just drive across the desert

after from the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment