Monday, July 11, 2011

short Owens River Packraft (7/10/11)

I got a pretty late (Yogaslacker) start on a packraft trip on the Owens River. I parked my truck at the Five Bridges bridge over the Owens, then I biked up to the Pleasant Valley Campground with my raft. This was into a headwind and took about an hour. Then I switched to raft mode (20 minutes) and cast off downstream at 5:17 pm. The water might have been a little higher than last time, but not by much. I didn't stop at all and made it down to the bridge in about 2.5 hours. I surprised a number of great blue herons and a hawk when I came around corners, but there were less little flitty birds than the first trip. The new packraft handles well without a bicycle on the front. It is definitely narrower than my old raft was.

I also got my spot tracker back (Thanks Frank), so here is a link to the spot track from this trip. You can see how squiggly the Owens is for some of this stretch.

Link to Tom's spot track of this short Owens River packraft trip

No comments:

Post a Comment