Thursday, July 15, 2010

Windy Mountain Hike Teaser


Another Teaser, this time of a hike into the Wind River Range starting at Dickinson Park and hiking or scrambling up Cathedral Peak and then Windy Mountain (12,539). That night I bivied over 12,000 feet sheltered in a V shaped rock formation. The wind was really high and gusty though and it was cold. I was glad to see the sun the next morning. The next morning I scrambled up peak 12,490 and Mount Chauvenet before hiking back out the Bears Ears Trail. The wind kept the mosquitos at bay most of the time, but also made it cold and knocked over some trees. As usual the views were spectacular and the amount of rock is staggering. In this picture from Mount Chauvenet you can see Cathedral Lake in the middle and Wind River on the horizon on the right (the snowy peak that I climbed last year).I made it back to Lander in time to catch Tartuffe by Moliere put on in the park.


here is my spot track from this trip

a more complete trip report can be seen here

No comments:

Post a Comment