Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Plum Island - birds, bugs, and poison ivy

We went to Plum Island north of Boston a few days ago to check it out. Most of the island is a nature preserve with heaps of birds, mosquitos, poison ivy, and so on. Unfortunately for us most of the beaches were closed for plover nesting, but we still saw lots of birds on the back side of the island and at either end which had access. Mostly they hung out a little too far away for decent photography with my 300 mm lens. In the open it was mostly pleasant although hot in the sun, in more sheltered areas the mosquitos could get fierce. Luckily we weren't besieged by green headed flies which can be a summer scourge there. We also spotted a few ticks, a snake, lots of snails, and a few crabs.


Here I am dipping my toes in the Atlantic (MJPG pic)

a tick - not my favorite thing, but at least he didn't latch on to me

Great Egret
Cormorant

They don't want the nesting plovers disturbed

low tide at the south end of the island




Here is my sister at her booth at the Needham farmer's market. You can see her fabulous art work here:

Needham farmer's market booth for block print art and books

No comments:

Post a Comment