Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bike ride - Walnut Canyon and Fisher Point

on 5-8-11 it was rather windy, but I opted for a bike ride anyway. I went through Flagstaff to the SE side and then went down a dirt forest service road to Walnut Canyon. That took about an hour. Then I hiked around the island loop trail there and took some pics. There sure were a lot of little cliff dwellings in that area.

Walnut Canyon overlook

there were little walls and rooms all over the place

Walnut Canyon dwellings
On the way back I cut down a chunk of the Arizona Trail on the N rim of Walnut Canyon to Fisher Point, then down to the base of the Fisher Point where I had biked from the other side a number of times in years past and then back to Flagstaff.

View from Fisher Point (trail ends up in meadow below)
Trail Junction below Fisher Point

There was one section that looked like a bunch of salvage logging after a fire near the end and a number of other areas where there had been some serious forest thinning. The front suspension helped a lot on the washboard and rocky sections, but I took one little canyon near the end too fast and really slammed my back wheel into a rock. This dented in the rim a bit. Luckily I didn't get a flat, but the tire was so far out of true that I had to unfasten the back brakes. Once I hit the pavement I could feel the dip in the rim with every revolution. :(  I guess that is my project for tomorrow.  I don't know how far I went in total, maybe 25 miles or so with more than half of that on dirt road or trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment