Monday, October 11, 2010

San Francisco Peaks bike/hike teaser


Today I biked up to Snowbowl at 9500 feet and then hiked up to the summit of Humphreys peak at 12633 ft / 3851 m. I left Flagstaff around 7:45 by 8:30 I was biking up the Snowbowl road. This did not go all that quickly. I think I was hiking a bit after 10. I made it to the summit before 1 I think, but I stayed there for a while. The descent went much more quickly, especially the bike part.
It was cool in the morning, but warm enough biking uphill. I was in shorts much of the way to the summit. There I wrapped up for a while. I also put more layers on for the Snowbowl road descent.

Aspens in the Inner Basin


The aspens were just barely starting to change along my route. It looked like more of the ones in the Inner Basin were changing. This was a bit easier than biking up the waterline road to the inner basin I think (and it looked like there was more snow along that route too), but I am still going to be a bit sore tomorrow.



view east down into the inner basin - one of the false summits on the left, Agassiz on the rt.

Here are some links to my earlier ascents of this peak...

2009, 2008, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment